Beth Cato's Reviews > Sporting Chance: Sporting Chance

Sporting Chance by Elizabeth Moon

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: in, 2010, science, fiction, serrano, series
Read in May, 2010

Despite being the captain of an old lady's space yacht, life is anything but dull for Heris Serrano. She, her employer and crew survived their recent adventures, but there are two problems: contraband found on board means someone may be out for payback, and the royal figure they rescued may not be naturally stupid. Poison is suspect. However, when the owner, Lady Cecilia, suffers a quick stroke that Heris suspects may be poison as well, legal manuevuering keeps the two far apart. It's up for their friends to find a way to spirit Lady Cecilia to safety, and up to Heris to find a cure for her and the prince.[return][return]First of all--egad, the cover of this is awful. Baen outdid themselves with the badness here. Again, I found this book very slow to start out. Once Lady Cecilia was imperiled, though, the stakes became dire. The trauma she endures is worse than something even George R. R. Martin would inflict on his characters. The other plot wasn't nearly as gripping. This is still a good book, but the characters and situations don't grab me as Moon's Vatta's War series did. I own the rest of these books and will read on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sporting Chance.