Beth Cato's Reviews > The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: in, 2012, mystery, flavia-de-luce, series
Read in February, 2012

I don't read many mystery books, but I am hooked on this series--and have gotten my mom hooked as well. In this second book, 11-year-old Flavia continues her adventures in the British countryside where she roams wild with her unhealthy interest in murder and poison. In this book, a visiting puppeteer is murdered, and the cast of suspects is wide. Bradley, a Canadian, has a magnificent knack for creating characters who are brilliant and quirky in that perfectly British mold. Really, it would be a joy to read about these people interact, even without the suspense of a murderer afoot.[return][return]But this is a murder mystery, and a pretty solid one. The ending of this didn't have the same punch as that of the first book, but it's still strong and the puzzle pieces fit together nicely. Not only does Flavia set out to solve the puppeteer's murder, but that of a local young boy who was found hanged several years before. The two deaths are closely linked. [return][return]I will continue to seek out books in this series. I was very glad to read in Publisher's Weekly recently that the author will be coming out with some ten books, and I couldn't contain my whoop of glee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag.