Hollie's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

193392
Jul 26, 07

bookshelves: classics, favorites, sci-fi-fantasy
Recommended for: precocious children, smart kids, clever adults
Read in July, 2007

This was the first book I picked up and read all the way through in one sitting. Technically, it's not a difficult read but conceptually it's rich and engaging.

"They have a word for people our age. They call us children and they treat us like mice."

If you can't understand that statement, you probably won't like this book. It's about intelligent children. Not miniature adults- their motivations, understanding, and some-times naivete clearly mark them as children. But at the same time their intelligence and inner strength define them clearly as people. Their personalities are fully developed, even if their bodies are not.

The book is about war. About leadership. And about the qualities that make some one a powerful or admirable individual (not always the same thing). In this book children are both kind and cruel to each other as only children know how to be. It is not an easy book for anyone who understands childhood to be a happy time of innocence. Even still, the characters retain a certain amount of innocence.

The questions posed by the war, by the handling of the war, are relevant today, as they were when the book was written, and as they have been since the dawning of the atomic age. Foremost is the question of what makes someone or something a monster. It is an easy read, but not always a comfortable one.

I'd recommend this book for intelligent children. The sort that resent being talked down to and treated like kids. Here is a book that does not talk down to them, but understands and empathizes with them. Also I recommend it for adults who used to be that kind of child, even if science fiction is not your usual interest. More pure science fiction fans will find it interesting, as will those who enjoy exploring the philosophies of human nature and war.

This book sets out to make you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aaron Thank you Hollie.

You have managed to write the review I was not able to. I think your review should be added to every copy of Ender's Game.

If you are reading this and you haven't read Ender's Game then I encourage you to heed Hollie's review.

Extremo_delirio I totally agree with Aaron.

message 3: by Michaela (last edited Jan 06, 2012 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michaela Agreed! :)

This review is way better than the ones on my book lol...

Irene Amazing review
As easy a read as you may say, unfortunately it wasn't easy enough for some people.
I loved the book: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REVIEW!
One thing I SLIGHTLY disagree on is what the book is about: I think the book is about different human qualities, and how people may act in different situations.

Rebecca Carlsen A great review! Yes, exactly this!

Shaleece Thank you for the review, it was everything I wanted to say about the book but couldn't find the words for.

Ross Yeaaa!

Ripple Finally someone, who truly understands this book! I had enough enough of people, who found stupid excuses to downrate this book just because they didn't have the brains to understand it.

Kellyjanemartin This review is a perfect description of Ender's Game. It bums me out to see so many reviews from people who just don't get it--they get angry because the children in the book think like children, or they might get frustrated because these children think differently than the children of today. God forbid that children being raised to fight a war don't just want to run off and play with rubber duckies!

Stephen Coleman-roush Fantastic and truly true review

message 11: by Evan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evan finally someone who knows what they are talking about

Daniel Marcos So now ge wet spam on Goodreads?

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani how do you read book on this app?

message 14: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Same here

Gabriella Thank you for writing this review. I loved this book when I first read it in high school and it intrigued me as no other book has. I have sifted through the other reviews for this book and was disappointed by what I read. There are so many people who are saying so many bad things about this book and the more I read what they had to say the more obvious it became. These people had no idea what they had read or what it represented. While reading their posts I felt like they were ants in a desert when they read this book. Orson Scott Card was the rain, bringing life to a parched land and like fools they curse the rain as a flood, unable to mark it for the blessing that it is. Again thank you for that review, for the 99 fools that scream their existence to the universe there is the one who listens.

message 16: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen I picked this up to read before the movie release. Loved it!

James Arellano-Cortez Great review

Jasmine I've found that every review helps complete the Ender's Game story. We all contribute to the story.

Coolkid well written review

Jnewman119 Awesome review! I was about to do one myself, but read this and decided this says it better then I ever could.

Eleni Cook Awesome review! complete agree!

message 22: by pato (new) - rated it 4 stars

pato Haven't read everybody's review of this book but this will probably be the best.
Totally explains it all.

Ebony Lopes Yeah, I read this when I was 11 and really enjoyed it. Still a great read and tackles issues of war and how they should be adressed... especially as even today there are many 'children' forced to be involved in war...

Artemis Thank you for doing such a great review. I'm so tired of these illogical reviews finding stupid excuses to say aweful things about this amazing book just because of Cards views on life.

message 25: by Joni (new) - rated it 1 star

Joni Willis-varble I disagree on this being a children's book. I don't want my children reading books about anything evil.