Amy's Reviews > Red Scarf Girl

Red Scarf Girl by Ji-li Jiang

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: youth, autobiographies, non-fiction

I first read this book in middle school because it was on the Battle of the Books reading list. Prior to reading the book, I thought the Cultural Revolution referred to some clothing movement (sadly this is also a common misconception amongst Chinese youth). I devoured the book. Keep in mind that this really is a young adult novel and not as deep as most other books about individuals or families living through the Cultural Revolution. The author was a young teenager at the start of the movement so the perspective is that of a young teenager. She tells the story of how the Cultural Revolution unfolded and how it affected her own life. She wanted to be a patriotic citizen and thus blindly supported everything as long as she could before realizing after quite some time that things were not what they seemed. When I read it, I thought it was a heart wrenching story of a girl's once promising life gradually reduced to a tragic state of living. In the end, I found it to be uplifting because she showed how she overcame the experiences and moved on with her life. But I also found it saddening how little what she lived through meant to those living in China now. A testament to the adage, "history is written by the victors." I would recommend this book with the understanding that it is not an adult novel so don't expect one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Scarf Girl.

Lucy Hannigan Have you read this? I haven't heard of it, but it looks like something I might enjoy. Let me know what you thought of it.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I read this book in middle school and loved it enough that I went and bought a copy after returning it to my library. I just wrote a review if you want more info.

Lucy Hannigan Perfect. I'll see if my library has it for Kindle. Sometimes young adult fiction is exactly what my old brain longs for :)