Crini's Reviews > Omens

Omens by Kelley Armstrong

Dec 08, 13

bookshelves: read-2013
Read from September 07 to 11, 2013

And here we go again. Kelley Armstrong makes me love yet another book. She always chooses such simple and well known topics but creates such an interesting story around that so that I’m hooked right from the beginning.
I’ve read many books about serial killers, that’s nothing new for me. A woman who gets to know she is adopted and actually the daughter of serial killers? Awesome concept but still nothing new to me here. What made me fall in love with this book is its combination of that with paranormal aspects and all these secrets concerning these paranormal aspects. All throughout the book I was asking myself what’s going on over and over again and was craving new details about this strange world of Cainsville.
With Cainsville as the main setting I sometimes felt like home. This small town community really has its charm and houses such unique and interesting characters that I wouldn’t mind living there even if I probably wouldn’t be welcome. We get to know a lot about this town and its residents but it still wasn’t enough for my taste. And I don’t mean that the story lacked details but that I liked these characters so much it would never have been enough. Hence I can’t wait for the next book to come out and get to know more.

As someone who doesn’t believe in omens I was surprised how interested I was in all these facts about them. I was as skeptic as Olivia herself. As a reader you are ahead of Olivia by reading from other POV’s and you know there is more to them but I could always relate to Olivia in not believing in them. By providing multiple POV’s we know there is something going on in the background Olivia doesn’t know about. But the facts we get from those are only superficial. There are still way to many questions unanswered to get the bigger picture. And this is exactly what kept me reading. I just couldn’t put it down. I had to know what’s going on. I wanted it to spill all its secrets at once and enjoyed being in the unknown at the same time.

It’s not only these mysterious secrets that kept me reading. I wouldn’t call it fast paced and action packed but it sure does have its gripping moments that kept me fearing for the safety of some characters. From experience I know that Kelley Armstrong doesn’t even need an action packed plot to make me love the story. It’s mostly her characters that I fall for. Olivia is someone I liked right away and I could understand her actions regarding the news about her birth parents. And there is this one guy. Kelley Armstrong always makes me fall all over that one guy who is not even handsome, who no one seems to like. There is always something about these guys that makes me like them and crave every moment with them. And in this story this guy brings along some funny conversations because he is so different from Olivia and they always find something to argue about.

When picking up a book by Kelley Armstrong I know I will get a story I’ll like or even love. I haven’t read a single book written by her that disappointed me. I’m grateful for yet another series that I can enjoy and that will keep me up late because I’m unable to stop reading. I wish I could already get my hands on the second book in the series and get to know more about this unique town Cainsville and these extraordinary characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Omens.

07/29/2013 marked as: to-read-mine
07/29/2013 marked as: ordered
08/29/2013 marked as: to-read-mine
09/07/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/10/2013 page 265
82.0% "books by kelley armstrong always have these unappealin guys I always like best^^"
09/11/2013 page 486