Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Geek Charming

Geek Charming by Robin Palmer

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: unfinished, romance, young-adult

I just didn't connect with this book and ended up abandoning it. At least part of it was that I didn't like Dylan. She's self-absorbed and kind of stupid and dotes on a boyfriend who is an obvious jerk. Her interests are fashion and how she looks in/with/around fashionable things. Seriously, this isn't something to build a character on. Also: as a fan of Clueless, if you're going to reference the movie, you might take a hint or two from it and make your leading lady be about more than herself and her things.

Even as adorkable as Josh is, he wasn't enough to overcome the psychic weight of dealing with Dylan. Plus, parts of his character didn't hold up to close inspection. I mean, it's a little hard to believe that a devoted film geek is going to be that into Neil Diamond. Yeah, I have a soft spot of my own for some of his songs, but I have a hard time believing that a teen of today, however dorky he may be, would a) have exposure to his work, b) have an affinity for his songs and c) stick a Neil Diamond bumper sticker on his car.

The book wasn't awful, mind. If I didn't have a pile of good books waiting for me, I might have stuck it out longer. As it stood, I'd just as soon move on to something else.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geek Charming.