Melissa's Reviews > Misfortune Cookie

Misfortune Cookie by Michele Gorman

This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings
Melissa's Musings:

This book was an absolute joy to read. I can't believe that I didn't get to it sooner, I wish that I had. This book is just so much fun. You get to take part in Hannah's journey's first hand as she moves to Hong Kong to be with her boyfriend Sam. You get to experience her ups and downs as she adjusts to life in another new country, (she lived in London, England before moving to Hong Kong) and you get to watch her really grow into her own.

Most of her family and friends think she's nuts for moving half way around the world, especially for a guy. But, Hannah is determined. And I like that about her. She sticks to her guns even when those around her are not as supportive as she might like.

There's a lot that I could relate to personally as I read this book and I think that may be why I liked it so much. I moved to Canada for a year and a half in 2010 and went through similar experiences to Hannah's. I had to adapt to life in a new country, moved away from all my friends and family, had to find a job, much like Hannah. My relationship even went through ups and downs like hers does. Not the same type of ups and downs, but ups and downs all the same.

One of the scenes I enjoyed most (because it really is true) is when Hannah is describing how empowered she feels being in a new country. She feels like she has a new chance, to start over, to redefine herself. And, she loves it in Hong Kong, she really feels at home there, and can see herself there long term. I have the same feeling about Canada so I can completely relate to this. Being in a new country really does give you a chance to start over. No one, or at least very few, depending on who you know beforehand, knows you in a new country. You can be whoever you want because no one has predefined ideas about you. Hannah took this in stride and really grew more confident as the story progressed.

I really like the pace of this book. It's told in first person, and the dialogue is so easygoing, and descriptive that it feels almost as if we're reading a journal of some sort. I really enjoy books told in this format and this one is no exception.

The dynamic between Stacy and Hannah is great as well. It was really great that Stacy moved to Hong Kong to be with Hannah. It was great to read their interactions because I have a lifelong friend who I could see myself doing something like that with. Plus she was very supportive when I moved as well, so those characters completely clicked for me.

The only thing I didn't care for was the ending, but I don't want to mention why because it's too big of a spoiler. It's just a personal preference though, I just thought it would end differently than it did.

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes fun romances and neat adventures.

* I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misfortune Cookie.

07/25/2012 page 67 "I'm really enjoying what I've read so far. It's well paced and descriptive."
show 1 hidden update…