Marialyce's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

May 20, 12

bookshelves: may-2012
Read from May 18 to 19, 2012

While I thought the story was good and the writing was crisp, I did not think this book lived up to its premise. I did enjoy the one person account of what life or death was like marooned on a lifeboat with a man in charge who acted like a dictator, while a very strong woman wrested from him the control of the boat.

One can't possibly imagine what life is like when all you see is ocean and all you think of is your survival. There is much to be said about the human will to survive and even under the worst of circumstances, one sees this basic element of man, that is the element of survival, click in. The descriptions of the author arouse enough fear, (especially in one who does get sea sick) to deal emotionally and physically with the plight of these people.

Written from the perspective of one woman, it tells the harrowing tale of survival and the ultimate way in which the human spirit fights to live or die. We see how in some of us, the need to survive outweighs any other need, even that aversion to kill a fellow human being so that you might assured a day of two more of your very own survival. I do realize that our protagonist tried to present the facts as she saw them, however, there was a huge sense of detachment. Granted, I did realize that going through an experience such as Grace went through is both traumatizing and brings with it a sense of how one reacts can be quite different to the way in which others conduct themselves.

While this was definitely an interesting read, both quick and well written, it did not provide me with a sense of connection to any of the characters. Unfortunately, that made the story less than real and more of a "what if" scenario or perhaps better stated a news report filed by a reporter reporting on events. While it is "newsworthy" at the time, it loses the hold it should have on people and the emotional sympathy ones needs in reading of a tragic event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.

05/18/2012 page 84
05/19/2012 page 223
80.0% "Totally interesting and begs the question, What would you do in this situation?"