MaryLiz LeBoeuf's Reviews > Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way

Beyond the Sling by Mayim Bialik

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012

I was pleasantly surprised and really liked this book! It's an accessible book about AP philosophy. I wish it had been around before my first baby was born. Mayim Bialik has a PhD in neurobiology, and she presents an easy-to-understand biological explanation of why attachment parenting makes sense. I especially liked her section on positive discipline. My only criticisms are 1) it's easy for a celeb with lots of resources and flexibility to practice AP to the extreme (she does acknowledge that what she does isn't for everyone), and 2) her sons didn't develop expressive language skills til after age 3. She was dismissive of early intervention, and I'm not sure that's the best message to promote to the average parent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Sling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Oh, boy. Interested to hear what you think about this book. In Every article or interview I've read with/about her she has come across either smug, holier than thou, or like she's got something to prove. Thus far I'm not a big fan of hers. What are your thoughts as you're reading the book?

MaryLiz LeBoeuf I just finished it. Here are my thoughts: I really, really liked the book. Believe it or not, it was one of the more accessible AP parenting books out there. Her interviews do not do her any favors. She is clearly well educated, and she explains AP philosophy in a way that totally makes sense. I don't think she sounds preachy in the book--she talks a lot about trusting intuition and even says that she realizes this style of parenting isn't for everyone. That being said, some of what she does is sort of impractical for the average family with more than one child. Another issue I found a little concerning is that her kids didn't develop expressive language skills til after age 3. She was dismissive of early intervention, and that's fine for her and her husband, both of whom have PhDs, but what about a parent who isn't as well-educated in child development?

message 3: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie I will probably read it out of curiosity. Glad to hear you thought it was worthwhile- I think it will take a lot to actually convert me to fan-Dom though :p