LMM's Reviews > Unlaced

Unlaced by Jaci Burton

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: romance-or-erotica
Read in April, 2012

Novella 2 - ONLY read Joey Hill's Controlled Response.

Okey dokes, so in this series, with each installment Joey is clearly moving it up a notch, showing the reader the different levels of how hardcore the Dom/Sub relationship is.

This installment was for me a classic Joey Hill fail. Sure it was hot BUT the male character, Lucas was too perfect. A complete Gary-stu. His dialog was something out of an overly earnest Hallmark card. Totally purple and OTT. Cassandra was alright. She didn't do it for me and the big dominant 'takeover' scene didn't either. Points for being creative but utterly contrived.

There's always at least one in Joey series where I don't like the characters much for this reason.

Usually she manages to always pull me in to their emotional journey and I fall into complete understanding no matter how far out the environment and that's what I really enjoy about this author. In spite of her inconsistencies (due to my level of tolerance b'c she goes too purple) more often than not, she hones in on astute psychological perspectives in order to give her characters legitimacy to justify their actions and responses, but this one didn't work for me.

I think this will generally appeal to her fans though but as one myself, I know she can do better.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlaced.