Katja's Reviews > Death's Hand

Death's Hand by S.M. Reine

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: adult, as-ebook, urban-fantasy, favorites, from-my-fav-author, indie
Read on February 01, 2012

I was excited when I first learned Reine has a new series coming out, since she’s one of my favourite indie authors. Where ‘Seasons of the Moon’-series is more about a teenage girl trying to find her way, Death’s Hand gives us an adult main character with a new set of problems.

The book opens with a scene from days gone, where James meets Elise the first time — or ‘meets’ might be a wrong word since he finds her in the middle of Russian woods with a stack of dead bodies. The opening is intriguing, giving us insight, that there might be something wrong with Elise and it builds up from there.

Death’s hand is an action packed page turner. The book starts to entwine plots that rise from Elise’s everyday life with burdens from her past, which she’s trying to obliterate. On several occasions I found myself thinking: “No you didn’t! How the heck is this going to get resolved?” — but every time Reine did a good job finding a solution that was believable. She also has a way of describing action; she can bring the scenes alive to the reader in a way where you can almost smell the blood and feel the bruises.

I love kick-ass female characters and I love them more when they’re real with actual flaws instead of virtues masked as vices. She makes mistakes and pays for them. She gets hurt without magically being healed for the next fight. Her relationship with her mentor James is messy.

I should note that Elise and James DO NOT have a romantic relationship. It’s more about their lives being tied together and the mentor-apprentice relationship which has evolved into mutual fondness and friendship. To be clear there’s hardly no romantic aspect at all in this book, just a little bit for the spice, but I didn’t even miss any. A deep romantic relationship would have shifted the book into something else.

Even though the main character is an adult woman, this book’s style in general is more for the YA audience. So if you’re looking for an adult book, you might want to read the sample first. And if you swear to only read YA, you should still check this one out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Hand.