RSterling's Reviews > As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Apr 10, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

As I Lay Dying is perhaps the most complex book I've read in high school. To sum this review up in one sentence, AILD is a fantastic, and twisted, book but if you aren't reading it in a class setting, you will lose half the meaning in the book.
Faulkner uses his character's alternating points of view to propel his story forward. I liked his style and his characters, but I was not a fan of some of their voices. Dewey Dell, for instance, is just a crazy, hormonal babbler. She can go on about the same thing for a page without one breath. Faulkner will sometimes cease using periods and punctuation while in her point of view, which accentuates her urgency. Nevertheless this can make the passages completely incomprehensible. Had I not read this book with the rest of my Honors English class, I would have been so confused.
Still the story itself is great, yet a little disturbing. There is some intense imagery, but this is a classic, and classics never end happily. This is one book I would not pick up for light reading, but it is a good novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Lay Dying.