Martin Belcher's Reviews > I Am Legend

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

May 25, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 28 to May 02, 2012

I have been meaning to read I am Legend since I first saw the film starring Will Smith a couple of years ago. I had heard the book was slightly different to the “Hollywood treatment” given to the film version.

I really enjoyed it, I think its far better than the film for capturing Robert Neville’s character and his anguish in realising he may be the only person alive in the world, barricaded in his home at night to prevent the hoards of vampires trying to attack and kill him. As a novel written in the 1950’s it seems to be a prophetic vision of a future world (1970’s) and encapsulates both themes of science fiction and horror.

It’s a great read; it’s chilling, exciting and emotional in places. I recommend it highly.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Legend.

04/29/2012 page 47
show 3 hidden updates…

Martin Belcher I'm really enjoying this book, its quite different to the film version starring Will Smith. Its set in LA in the 1970's. I love it...

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Loved that book when I read it years ago. Especially the ending, which I thought was perfect. Have you seen Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth?" Amazing and chilling film.

Martin Belcher Hi Chris, I agree, great book and defintely an ending that stays in your mind. I haven't seen "The Last Man on Earth" will try and see if I can get it on DVD.

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Shuck Hi Martin, I haven't watched the film or the book, what would you recommend to do first?

Martin Belcher Hi Lee, Having watched the film first and then read the book, I reckon it would be best to read the book first and then film. They're both great but the book just seems to capture Robert Neville's character better. Enjoy!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky Martin wrote: "I haven't seen "The Last Man on Earth" will try and see if I can get it on DVD."

There's also another version, which is... different, but interesting, and I think better in some ways than The Last Man On Earth. It's called The Omega Man, starring Charlton Heston.

Martin Belcher Becky wrote: "Martin wrote: "I haven't seen "The Last Man on Earth" will try and see if I can get it on DVD."

Hi Becky, I remember seeing The Omega Man quite a few years ago, I'd forgotten about that film, must try and watch that again!