Jennifer's Reviews > The Password to Larkspur Lane

The Password to Larkspur Lane by Carolyn Keene

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: read-with-my-kid
Read in April, 2012

The cover photo most resembles the edition we read, but mine was published in 1933, so may be less politically correct than later versions. Fortunately there are no "colored" servants shuffling or speaking in dialect in this story and no one with sinister foreign accents. The mystery itself is okay, though it drags a bit. Nancy tracks down a fake hospital where a band of crooks hold old ladies against their will and force them to sign over their fortunes. They seem to do this by drugging and hypnotizing the old folks in their care. You would think there would be a quicker and more cost-effective way to get money from seniors (Publisher’s Clearinghouse sweepstakes, anyone?), but then we wouldn’t get to have the sinister disbarred lawyer and the quack doctor and the carrier pigeons and an airplane landing field and Nancy stuck in a cistern. Kudos to Miss Drew for knowing how to disable not only a car engine but a lightcraft airplane. Annoying that she gets to take first prize in the local garden show on top of everything else.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Password to Larkspur Lane.