Andi's Reviews > A Mind at a Time

A Mind at a Time by Mel Levine

Oct 07, 2014

bookshelves: books-i-own, child-development, education, non-fiction, psychology
Read in April, 2010

Dr. Levine's approach to learning is both refreshing and inspiring. He believes that each child is unique and therefor each child's learning style is unique. In the book he outlines the major neurological functions that are key to learning, how they function, why they are important, and where breakdowns can occur, as well as provides methods to circumvent these breakdowns while working to repair them. He also emphasizes the fact that not everyone has to be good at everything - strengths AND weaknesses are what makes people who they are and that strengths need to be recognized, nurtured, and promoted.

One of the concepts I most liked was personal accountability. When a child is allowed a concession for weakness X, like the ability to make an oral report on tape instead of a written report if he has graphomotor function issues, the child is expected to give payback Y in an area of strength. "Everyone is expected to be a highly productive student but they do not all need to be turning out the same products."

The best line of the book..."In truth, it is normal to be different."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mind at a Time.

message 1: by Wendy (last edited Aug 26, 2008 05:39AM) (new) - added it

Wendy Earlier this year, I attended an appearance by Dr. Levine at NC Wesleyan College. His "speech" was reminiscent of a college lecture, and I don't think a lot of the audience truly understood what he was saying. BUT He was quite humorous and enjoyable. I would love to learn loads more from him.

If you want to get a quick fix, watch the PBS DVD "Misunderstood Minds". I got it through Netflix, and it's available for sale.

Andi I picked up this book at our local Half Price Books. It looked quite interesting. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but it will definitely be higher up on my to-read list!