Jesika's Reviews > Knowing Me Knowing You

Knowing Me Knowing You by Mandy Baggot

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: fiction, romance, kindle, pixel-of-ink, free, read-in-2012, oy-vey, reviewed
Read from April 09 to 11, 2012

There always comes a time in a chick-lit/romance book when the plucky main character is so overwhelmed by her life and her complicated plans to open a vegan bakery while going to law school/ finish her speculative novel about what Earth would be like if Noah only brought cats on the Ark/ tell the gorgeous deaf guy she’s been dating that she’s not actually deaf- her twin is deaf and she stood him up and our plucky main character felt so bad seeing him waiting in the rain that she pretended to be her sister for one date but now she’s falling for him that the weird best friend/grumpy neighbor who seemed like a jerk but really isn’t has to give the main character a pep talk. Weird best friend says, “You’re so smart- your plan to open an ice rink shoe store will totally work. You deserve all the happiness in the world.” Grumpy neighbor says, “You’re so big hearted. I see you feed that stray dog everyday when you think no one is watching you. If 6’2” wandering rodeo cowboy doesn’t see that that’s his loss.” And as the reader I need to believe these pep talks. I need to be in the main character’s corner saying, “You can do it! Open that dance studio for pets! Dogs in tutus are adorable!” That’s the whole point of these types of books: to watch a woman’s transformation from a totally hot mess to slightly neater mess with more confidence and a hot astronaut boyfriend/her own pawn shop.

I say this because when I got to that very critical part in the book “Knowing Me Knowing You” when new-agey best friend Hermione tells the main character Kate “You’re a wonderful person Kate. A good friend, an exceptional mother and a bright, intelligent young woman with her whole life in front of her” I almost shot soda out of my nose. I realized that Hermione said the exact opposite of how I felt about the main character. Kate is an awful person: she’s self centered, rude, constantly bored by others, the worst kind of insecure- half of the time complaining about how she’s not good enough the other half saying mean things, whiny, and a borderline alcoholic. In the end she doesn’t learn anything and gets everything she wants. Boo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knowing Me Knowing You.