Christine Starkey's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Feb 03, 13

Read from January 25 to February 03, 2013

“It’ll be the dullest thing ever written!” Yep. It is. That quote came from page 193 in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I read up to that quote and didn’t want to read any further.

I thought I was really going to like this book. The book’s cover lead me to believe I was going to go on a mysterious, deranged, quirky, horror-filled adventure. Who wouldn’t be interested in this creepy looking book, lurking on the shelves in the "New Releases" section? However, I couldn’t get into the story.

Although I found it well written, the plot was messy, predictable and dragged dramatically. It was lacking in detail and sophistication. The characters were not relatable. I found them to be cold and flat. Too many things went unexplained, leaving scattered holes in the story.

The only thing I did like was the unique, unsettling photos throughout the novel. Alas, a combination of vernacular photographs mixed in with a narrative does not guarantee a good story. Good concept, poor execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.