Jean-Marc's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

M_50x66
Apr 10, 12

Read in April, 2012

First I know my opinion on this book is in the minority, but I writing this for my (few) friends.

1-I found the material way too derivative from many events related to the royal families of England and France. Basically I think if this was the goal, it would have been simpler to actually use England in the middle age as in Pillar of the Earth for example. And if you ever read "les rois maudits" (in English The Accursed Kings) you would know that reality beats fiction.
2- By constantly cutting relatively short chapter from one character to another (and there are multiples parallel lines through the story, too many in fact) in makes difficult to identify with any of the character.
In the end I liked Tyrion and Jon, but found Ned Stark totally stupid (particularly after he knew what was going on with Cersei and Jaime)

So I did not like this book that much. I did like better events close to the end of the book (What is happening to Daenerys and related to the wall). In other words I would have preferred less medieval re-hash and more fantasy elements

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.