Kirsty's Reviews > Dracula

Oct 16, 08

bookshelves: classics, horror
Recommended to Kirsty by: The Next Best Book Club
Read in October, 2008

I wasn't particularly looking forward to this book, but agreed to read it with others during October as it fitted in nicely with Halloween. I was expecting it to be relatively dull, but thought that it might have the occasional thrilling passage.

I was pleasantly surprised. In the early chapters, Stoker does a brilliant job of describing the characters and scenery. This works wonders at building the dark, brooding atmosphere of Castle Dracula. Having read more up to date thriller/horror stories, I was expecting something more frightening; however this book is more of an atmospheric horror. I wouldn't say that it is scary per se, but I think that it is certainly eerie and makes for a chilling read.

After Harker left Transylvania the story seemed to lose some of its pace, which I found disappointing; however I didn't feel that it stalled the story too much and I still felt compelled to keep reading. There are points in the book where the action picks up again, but mostly it wasn't as fast-paced as the beginning chapters.

I liked the way the story is told from multiple viewpoints. This especially works as each character is explored well and therefore I felt like I could connect with them. I do think that some of their musings regarding right/wrong and good/evil could have beem omitted (therefore picking up the pace somewhat). These musings tended to come right in the middle of the juicier parts of the book and I found them to be more of a distraction than an enhancement of the plot.

The ending of the book was, for me, too rushed. I felt like this could have been thought through more and written in more detail. I would have liked to have seen more action in the final chapters than there was. I think that too much of the latter part of the book was spent talking about what they planned to do rather than focusing on the actual happenings.

Overall, I found that the book wasn't at all as dull as I was expecting and despite the slower pace, I found it an enjoyable read.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

10/06/2008 page 1