Crystal's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction-worth-reading
Read from June 15 to 20, 2012

I love this book. I made homemade butter/buttermilk for pancakes last week. Yummy and fun!
I think I would be best friends with Mrs Chernila if she lived down the block from me. I love the stories she includes with each recipe. That is exactly like something I would do. You have these great stories to enjoy while you are stirring or waiting for the cookies for just 1 minute longer.
The recipes are easy and sometimes you think, 'well, duh,' because that is exactly how you would make it if you had ever thought about how to make it. Case in point, pop tarts... think about how you would make them at home... but would you ever think to make them at home without someone else suggesting it?
Draw backs. I live 'deep in the heart of Texas' and I don't have access to inexpensive and delicious berries, fruits and veggies. Granted, I haven't given it much research, but a few of the recipes I felt like it would not be worth the hassel or money involved. Which she says up front in the Intro. Do what works for you!
Lastly, I made Amie Wrights delicious homemade caramel popcorn at the same time I read this book and Dan said, 'Oh, right. You are reading that weird make from scratch book,' before he knew it was Amie's recipe. So, see... I can make some things from scratch too! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.