Aryn's Reviews > The Occupy Handbook

The Occupy Handbook by Janet Byrne

May 12, 12

bookshelves: own, won-in-giveaway, non-fiction, politics-or-philosophy, history
Recommended for: People living in the modern economic climate
Read from April 20 to May 12, 2012

While I was reading this book that I received from Goodreads Giveaways, I came across this article written by Stephen King. Tax Me, for F@%&’s Sake! I found it very appropriate, considering the book I was reading.

This collection of essays by some 50+ economists, and other various intelligent people, on the validity of the Occupy Wall Street movement and what can be accomplished through it, really opened my eyes in a lot of ways. I agree with what OWS stands for, and I do agree with the way it's been carried out so far - it truly is only in its baby stages. I guess "opened my eyes," was the wrong phrase. I think what this book did was clear up a lot of the issues behind OWS. While I have agreed with the movement, and did camp out a couple days, the exact hows and whys of well, how and why our country is so fucked at the moment pretty much eluded me. I knew there was something wrong with the financial sector. I knew there was something wrong with the education system. I knew there was a mortgage crisis. I knew there was a vast disparity in both wealth and political belief in the country. But I'm no economist.

This book was paramount to seeing people who hold my beliefs but are much, much smarter than I am, explaining in both words I can understand and more eloquently than I could have, how and why we got here, along with a handful of suggestions for solutions. Oh, there were essay that went way the fuck over my head, using graphs and dense terminology that left me scratching my head; that's really the only reason this book got four instead of five stars. But the essays that made me think, "OH! I actually get it!" on issues that I have always wished for a better understanding of, by far outweighed those that left me lost and confused.

Align yourself with the OWS movement? Not really sure what OWS wants? Feel as though OWS isn't being carried out effectively? Simply curious? Read this book. It was long and hard to read sometimes, and certainly requires undivided attention, but it was 100% worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Occupy Handbook.

04/24/2012 page 29
5.0% "I really enjoyed the first two essays, and the third one only marginally less. They were interesting, informative, and amusing.

I especially liked the second essay which explored why the political parties seem to be moving further and further apart."
04/24/2012 page 29

05/01/2012 page 79
14.0% "Wow. That John Cassidy essay was dense: interesting, but damn it made me realize that I have no idea how the financial sector works in this country."
05/05/2012 page 141
25.0% "The last couple of essays in the first section are incredibly intellectual and felt like they were way over my head."
05/07/2012 page 265
47.0% "That last essay, Occupy the Media, is much closer to the parts of Occupy that I understand. The economics are often way over my head. Also, the event mentioned, the raid where the police destroyed the People's Library was right after I had been to OWS, and destroying books hits me particularly hard. I remember the event making me cry, while watching feeds."
05/07/2012 page 286
51.0% ""Last Place Aversion"

I like this theory, it rings very, very true."