Jimmy's Reviews > She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians

She Was Nice To Mice by Alexandra Elizabeth Sheedy

Aug 23, 08

bookshelves: female, novel, year-1970s
Read in August, 2008

Picked this up after I found out Ally Sheedy (from Breakfast Club, among others) wrote this when she was twelve! I was interested in knowing what kind of story a twelve year old (Ally Sheedy, no less!!!) would write. Well it turns out to be a very odd, yet interesting book. The framing device is completely unneeded and the plot doesn't actually go anywhere, but it's still a very good book for other reasons. Part of it is that it's a children's book written by a child, and some parts contain things you wouldn't find in other children's books: sex, beheadings, etc. Also Sheedy's mind works in funny ways, and the book is very "fresh". You can tell that Sheedy had been reading a lot about her subject as well as some novels, so it's interesting what kinds of devices and conventions she uses here and which ones she completely ignores. I really enjoyed this book, and I hope she continues to write more.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Was Nice To Mice.

Jimmy thx for the comment. i'm actually not very familiar w/ ally sheedy. I've only seen bfast club, but I really liked her and I like her more now that I've read her book. I'm planning on watching more of her movies. oh, PS - the sex stuff isn't explicit, but just the acknowledgement that there is a thing as sex is kind of rare in children's books.