Samantha's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: adult, books-i-own, chick-lit, contemporary, girly, jane-austen, reviewed, romance
Recommended for: Chick-Lit lovers, girls looking for a laugh
Read from April 10 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I began this book thinking: 'oh my gosh what in the world am I getting myself into?' Upon completion: 'that was actually rather good, how could I have thought of it so improperly before I had given it a chance?' But now that all that intro-mumbo-jumbo is over, let's get this review started.

(view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.

04/10/2012 page 33
12.0% "Funny....not at all what I expected from a book based on Pride & Prejudice, but keeping an open mind. It is rather humorous, a nice look into popular chick-lit. Reminds me of quite a few adult rom/com movies. Pushing onward!"
04/10/2012 page 35
13.0% "Parents seem to be getting a little dysfunctional..homosexuality presenting itself. I do admire the use of the Great Expectations allusion to Miss Havisham"
04/10/2012 page 43
16.0% "......i shouldnt have pulled out the dictionary. Darn my youthful innocence. Sam-0 Bridget Jones-1"
04/14/2012 page 147
54.0% "So far, so good. Major progress! Still not seeing the connection though..."
04/14/2012 page 202
75.0% "Hmm...starting to see a slight connection. (3-4 areas specifically, but not any more than that so far) Very humorous....rather good intro to Chick-Lit. Only 3 more months to go =)"

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty ...better that the youthful innocence is lost in a mental bookish way so that it is not lost in a physical way that hurts the body or soul even worse--???

Samantha Haha yeah. Then it's not my fault and I won't have any regrets...its the author's fault and it hurts nobody =)

message 3: by Patty (new)

Patty ... only your innocent mind ... :P

Samantha I think it'll be ok..I've survived high school =)

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty high school in the ghetto n full of hookers who think they are brilliant ;P

Samantha yep...that sounds about right haha

message 7: by Patty (new)

Patty ghetto high...lots of good things to write about...just sayin'...

Samantha Oh believe ive thought about it haha just dont hav the time to write it while im AT the darn place

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria You will have more time to write in college. So calm down. :D

message 10: by Patty (new)

Patty awww....and here I thought I was going to get a good rough draft very soon... jar jar mama sad...

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty ok....yeah....I don't know where that last part came from... ;?

Samantha I do, betcha betcha. Maybe over the summer? I have quite an array of characters lol the only question is: where in the world do I start? Although history has taught us that its always helpful to start at the beginning =)

message 13: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Isn't jar jar from Star Wars? What is with the betcha betcha?

Samantha Jar jar is from star wars. On Big Bang when Leonard's mom is visiting, they start imitating Jar Jar at the university breakfast table. What you need to do is watch Star Wars Episode I and then go watch that BBT episode. =)

message 15: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria I've seen Episode I Star wars, but I don't remember THAT episode of Big Bang.

message 16: by Patty (new)

Patty Samantha wrote: "I do, betcha betcha. Maybe over the summer? I have quite an array of characters lol the only question is: where in the world do I start? Although history has taught us that its always helpful to s..."

You start "in the middle" of something interesting. The fancy writing term is "in media res." Then you work forward while filling in the gaps in the back (history of the character/story.) Hope this helps! :O)