Miles's Reviews > The Two

The Two by Will Carver

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: reviews
Read in April, 2012

I’ve just finished reading Will Carver’s second book – The Two – and I have to say that this, similar to his debut novel, is a big thinker, perhaps more so than the first, it’s certainly more intricate. A complex and multi layered novel it took me a lot longer to get into the groove and find a rhythm with the book, even though I was used to Carver’s writing style. I wasn’t quite sure what was happening, everything is so quick, frenetic and complex as we move from one view point to another, forward and back in time. Carver doesn't allow you to settle and I struggled a little with that.

One of the things I love about Will’s books is the chance to follow a story from beginning to end in the first person narrative and with it multiple viewpoints – the killers, the lead protagonist (Detective Inspector January David) and the victims – a unique opportunity and one I relished once again. Even when a victim is killed, it’s not the last we hear from them, they are given a voice long after death, a voice that helps move the story along and tie up any loose ends.

An enjoyable read, I think Will's debut book Girl4 is a stronger offering.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two.