Luann's Reviews > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith

Nov 15, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, adult, historical-fiction, classics
Read in November, 2008

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is another classic that I've always heard about, but never read - until now! And it's another one that I wish I had read sooner! If someone told me that this was an autobiography, I would believe it. It was extremely believable and well-written. Betty Smith completely drew me into Francie Nolan's world. I feel like I was there and lived that life with her - which is amazing because my life and experiences are very different from Francie's world as a poor young girl growing up in Brooklyn in the early 1900s.

I read the bulk of this book in two sittings, but stretched out the last 100 pages over several days because I wasn't ready for it to end yet. This book fulfilled in a very wonderful way one of the reasons I love to read: experiencing someone else's life while going somewhere I would never be able to go on my own.
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Quotes Luann Liked

Betty  Smith
“The world was hers for the reading.”
Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

11/08/2008 page 1
11/09/2008 page 102
20.56% "Fascinating so far. A real slice of life story."
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by rivka (new)

rivka Try Tomorrow Will Be Better , by the same author.

Luann Thanks! I added it to my list.

Angela Also read Joy in the Morning and Maggie Now. They may be hard to find but they are worth it.

Luann Cool. Two more for my TBR list. Thanks!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth When I was nursing my daughter, my grandmother told me to "give her the Gussie." At the time, I had no clue what she was talking about, and her memory morphed the scene a bit. When I read the novel, finally, I couldn't stop laughing.

message 6: by Angela (last edited Nov 19, 2008 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela I remember my mother reading that part out loud too! She and Daddy laughed over that for years and mom still refers to it.!I am glad to know there are others who have found lasting humor in "the Gussie"!

Cookiesue9x Liked your review of my all-time fave book, and, how you stretched out the ending to last longer.