Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Wake

bookshelves: 2012, arc, around-the-world-arc-tours, young-adult
Read from April 10 to July 29, 2012

MY THOUGHTS
REALLY LIKED IT
This would be a totally awesome slasher movie. Yeah, that was my first impression. The story centers around two sisters, each different, but still sisters. Of course, like in true Disney fashion, the mother is gone, although in this case, the mother has survived a devastating car accident that left her with a brain injury and she has just reverted to acting like a fourteen year old. I think (hope) she needs to be developed a bit further in the next book since she is so whimsical, yet insightful.
Harper is the older one who runs the household taking care of her younger sister Gemma and the father, who is also pretty nonexistent again in Disney-like fashion. While Harper has to be strong to keep the family together and seems super OCD in running things just the right way, she is also pretty wise and sensitive. She is *perfect* with a scholarship on the way, works part time at the library, cooks and cleans while watching out for Gemma. My wish is that she plays a stronger role in the next installment.
Gemma loves to swim and she is striving to make the Olympics as well as getting her own scholarship. She is sheltered by her sister and has pretty much bowed to her sister's wishes in being a good girl. While she is growing up, she has had a major crush on the boy next door, Alex who is a nerd. When her affections are finally returned, she meets up with three girls who are vacationing on her small home island and things may fall apart. These girls are movie star beautiful and they know it. They also have an evil secret and need Gemma in order to survive. Without going into major plot points here, just assume they get their way and Gemma is taken to the dark side in order to protect her loved ones.
OK, so far so good. The girls are actually sirens (NOT all are necessarily mermaids) and need Gemma to survive, so she has been duly threatened and coerced to participate in their evil way of life. All perfect parts of a good story with the best of B movies mixed in and you may find yourself screaming at Gemma, "Don't go with those girls!" just like you would at a movie screen. I found the dialogue a bit forced, but the action made up for it. There is violence, some drug references, a few kissed but nothing that hasn't been seen in a good horror flick. I think that the storyline has a good base in mythology and hope the next one doesn't disappoint.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Smash (new) - added it

Smash The thing that irked me most about this book was the world-building. I guess I just wasn't very impressed. I love Greek mythology and it just fell flat for me.

Now, tell me this: did their true form remind you of particular character from a dark 1980s Jim Henson movie? I swear, I could not get the Skeksis out of my head after reading this book.

Mary (BookHounds) Yeah, I still don't understand how she got paid so much money for this series. I have read much better mermaid books that are more original. I guess she really has a ton of fans.