Shannon's Reviews > At Fault

At Fault by Kate Chopin

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 04 to 19, 2012

This book is just not good. There is an amateurish quality to Kate Chopin's writing that is very obvious in this book, and unforunately never quite went away over time, even to her last book "The Awakening."

The story plods along with a very dull pace. The main characters are hardly developed at all, and eventually become overshadowed by secondary characters that we are dumped upon with heaps of information. You can't like the characters because you know barely anything about them, and they are like cardboard cut-outs that resemble human beings.

The dialog is typical of the period while the story is dated even for the times in which it was written. An exaggerated, (now) painfully outdated 'folksiness' is given to all Southern characters (particularly any person of color) by way of the old style of choppy writing filled with apostrophes. Books like these always give me such a headache trying to decipher. I suppose that this is a personal preference.

Beware, the 'N' word and other now-unacceptable terms are used frequently, which had not yet gone out of style by this time and was not unacceptable. It didn't bother me to the point of not reading it, because I think it is important to remember our mistakes so we don't make them again in the future, but I know some people won't read books containing this sort of language.

Overall this book does give you a peek at Southern American social life in the old days. But it is not given enough depth or development to truly understand the period any more deeply than that. This is due to the lacking abilities of the writer at the time. I have read better stories in a similar vein from far less popular writers of the time than Chopin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Fault.

04/17/2012