Amy Snyder's Reviews > The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

F 50x66
May 31, 12

Read from April 10 to May 31, 2012

So far, this book is quite confusing and I am not enjoying it. Ken Kesey is returning from jail and it seems that everyone is waiting "the chief". Why he is so powerful and respected is beyond me thus far. And the Merry Pranksters seem to just be some drugged out hippies who refuse to live by established rules. The way Wolfe writes is quite confusing and he uses terms that are just out of my grasp. It is now the last day in May and Ihave finally finished this awful book. I just never understood it. All the drugs, the acid tests, the bus, running from the law, believeing they were better than everyone else. What is the point? Why in the world was this book ever popular and why were these peopel held in such high regard. I do feel badly that some of these people, such as Kesey, accidentally became addicted to LSD due to government testing, but then to embrace it and turn it into a complete counterculture is ridiculous. I was very happy to finally finish this book and be done with the Merry Pranksters, the Hell's Angels, and the Grateful Dead. Though I will always love their music, their drug involvement has never impressed me either.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.