Sarai's Reviews > Magic Study

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, read-in-2012, young-adult, series
Read in April, 2012

I've really been enjoying this series by Maria V. Snyder. The plot, the characters, the magic aspect of it all feels really fresh. The main character Yelena is self-sufficient, intelligent, and brave without feeling unbelievable or forced. Do you know how rare that is?

In Magic Study, Yelena is coming to terms with relocating to a new place, reuniting with her parents and her brother, and beginning a new journey with her recently discovered magical abilities. It's a lot to take in, a lot of changes at once, but the difficulties don't end there.

While she struggles to understand her identity she is faced with additional challenges: 1) her brother Leif will not accept her as his sister and has some sort of hateful grudge against her, 2) Cahill, a young man raised specifically to take over the throne of Ixia, kidnaps her for information, 3) Goel, a guard of Cahill vows to take revenge against Yelena for making him look foolish and incompetent, and most importantly, 4) there is a man who possesses magical abilities and is using them to abduct young girls, tortures them, and then steals their souls. So a lot is going on.

The plot is fast paced, intriguing, and unpredictable (at least for me). The only disconnect I had with the story was the relationship between Yelena and Valek. For some reason I just love them both separately but not together. I can't really explain it, because it's not like Snyder doesn't know how to tie in romance, but I just didn't 'feel it' in this book. Hopefully in the third installment, Fire Study, I can either come to terms with this romance or just ignore it. Because honestly, the rest of the plot/characters/development makes up for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Study.

04/23/2012
70.0% "Completely immersed myself in this story while at work today. I just love Maria V. Snyder's imagination."