Arielle Crowell's Reviews > The Coldest Winter Ever

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

Apr 14, 2012

liked it
Read from April 10 to 14, 2012

This was a good story but, at the same time, it was really annoying that Sister Souljah included herself in the book as the self righteous savior to all. And because Winter didn't accept the things Souljah was teaching, she obviously ended up with a raw deal. That being said, Winter as a character was very thoroughly developed. I think Sister Souljah did an excellent job with character development in this story. The personalities were real and not so far fetched. As a main character, I didnt like Winter at all. She was selfish, cold, heartless, and without love. In the end, I dont even think she loved her own mother. This is what makes the characters so good. You feel an emotion one way or the other towards them.

Still, the story became tedious at times because to be schooled in so many things in regard to the streets, Winter wasnt very smart. She did the dumbest things and didnt consider consequences of anything. I suppose the story was meant to show a lesson... or to at least preach the message Sister Souljah wanted you to hear. Just as a story, it's a good book, but it's obvious that Sister Souljah attempted to use it as a means to an end to get her political points across, which turned me off just a bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest Winter Ever.