Astrid's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jun 23, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 19 to 23, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Astrid Liked

Veronica Roth
“I am selfish. I am brave.”

Veronica Roth
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

Veronica Roth
“And is it selfish of me to crave victory, or is it brave?”

Veronica Roth
“Why do people want to pretend that death is sleep? It isn't. It isn't.”

Veronica Roth
“You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“I pause a second. He doesn't look at me the way Will, Christina, and Al sometimes do - like I am too small and too weak to be of any use, and they pity me for it.”
tags: love

Veronica Roth
“I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent.”

Veronica Roth
“It isn't the height that scares me - the height makes me feel alive with energy, every organ and vessel and muscle in my body singing at the same pitch.
Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.”

Veronica Roth
“I breathe in. The water will wash my wounds clean. I breathe out. My mother submerged me in water when I was a baby, to give me to God. It has been a long time since I thought about God, but I think about him now. It is only natural. I am glad, suddenly, that I shot Eric in the foot instead of the head.”

Veronica Roth
“He pulls me over the railing and against his chest, gathering me into his arms, easing an arm under my knees. I press my face into his shoulder, and there is a sudden, hollow silence.”

Veronica Roth
“One choice can transform you!”

Veronica Roth
“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.”

Veronica Roth
“I pull my foot back again, but Four's hands clamp around my arms, and he pulls me away from her with irresistible force. I breathe through gritted teeth, staring at Molly's blood-covered face, the color deep and rich and beautiful, in a way. She groans, and I hear a gurgling in her throat, watch blood trickle from her lips. "You won," Four mutters. "Stop." I wipe the sweat from my forehead. He stares at me. His eyes too wide; they look alarmed. "I think you should leave," he says. "Take a walk." I'm fine," I say. "I'm fine now," I say again, this time for myself.

I wish I could say I felt guilty for what I did.

I don't.”

Veronica Roth
“You will be the first test subject, Tobias. Beatrice, however...." She smiles. "You are too injured to be of much use to me, so your execution will occur at the conclusion of this meeting."

I try to hide the shudder that goes through me at the word "execution," my shoulder screaming with pain, and look up at Tobias. It's hard to blink tears back when I see the terror in Tobias's wide, dark eyes.

"No," says Tobias. His voice trembles, but his look stern as he shakes his head. "I would rather die."

"I'm afraid you don't have much of a choice in that matter," replies Jeanine lightly.

Tobias takes my face in this hands roughly and kisses me, the pressure of his lips pushing mine apart. I forget my pain and the terror of approaching death and for a moment, I am grateful that the memory of that kiss will be fresh in my mind as I meet my end.”

Veronica Roth
“To live factionless Is not just to live in poverty and discomfort; it is to live divorced from society, separated from the most important thing in life: community. My mother once told me that we can’t survive alone,but even if we could, we wouldn’t want to. Without a faction, we have no purpose and no reason to live.”

Veronica Roth
“He pus his lips next to my ear and says, “You look good, Tris.”

Veronica Roth
“I wish I could say I felt guilty for what I did.

I don't.”

Veronica Roth
“They try to make you think they care about what you do but they don't. They don't want you to act a certain way. So you're easy to understand. So you won't pose a threat to them.”

Veronica Roth
“When I look at the Abnegation lifestyle as an outsider, I think it’s beautiful. When I watch my family move in harmony; when we go to dinner parties and everyone cleans together afterward without having to be asked; when I see Caleb help strangers carry their groceries, I fall in love with this life all over again.”

Veronica Roth
“Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up”

Veronica Roth
“It is more important for you to be safe than right, for the time being. Understand? (...) But please, when you see an opportunity...ruin them”

Veronica Roth
“A chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy.”

Veronica Roth
“If you are really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail. And if it does, you are a coward.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Veronica Roth
“Human reason can excuse any evil.”

Veronica Roth
“It was him or me. I chose me. But I feel dead too.”

Veronica Roth
“It isn’t right to wish pain on other people just because they hurt me first.”
tags: pain

Veronica Roth
“Simulation Tobias kisses my neck.

I try to think. I have to face the fear. I have to take control of the situation and find a way to make it less frightening.

I look Simulation Tobias in the eye and say sternly, “I am not going to sleep with you in a hallucination. Okay?”

Then I grab him by his shoulders and turn us around, pushing him against the
bedpost. I feel something other than fear—a prickle in my stomach, a bubble of laughter. I press against him and kiss him, my hands wrapping around his arms. He feels strong. He feels…good.

And he’s gone.

I laugh into my hand until my face gets hot. I must be the only initiate with this fear.”

Veronica Roth
“The man running toward me is not a man, he is a boy. A shaggy-haired boy with a crease between his eyebrows.

Will. Dull-eyed and mindless, but still Will. He stops running and mirrors me, his feet planted and his gun up. In an instant, I see his finger poised over the trigger and hear the bullet slide into the chamber, and I fire. My eyes squeezed shut. Can't breathe.

The bullet hit him in the head. I know because that's where I aimed it.”

Veronica Roth
“I am your instructor", he says."My name is Four".
Christina asks, "Four? Like the number?"
"Yes", Four says. "Is there a problem?"
"No."
"Good. We're about to go into the Pit, which you will someday learn to love. It-"
Christina snickers. "The Pit? Clever name."
Four walks up to Christina and leans his face close to hers. His eyes narrow, and for a second he just stares at her.
"What's your name?" he asks quietly.
"Christina", she squeaks.
"Well, Christina, if I wanted to put up with Candor smart-mouths, I would have joined their faction", he hisses.
"The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep your mouth shut.Got that?”

Veronica Roth
“He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife?”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in bravery. We believe in taking action. We believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of our world so that the good can prosper and thrive. If you also believe in those things, we welcome you.”

Veronica Roth
“Eric called Al's suicide brave, and he was wrong. My mother's death was brave. I remember how calm she was, how determined. It isn't just brave that she died for me; it is brave that she did it without announcing it, without hesitation, and without appearing to consider another option.”
tags: love

Veronica Roth
“There's a reason why she left them, Lauren," he says. His voice is deep, and it rumbles. "What's your name?"

"Um..." I don't know why I hesitate. But "Beatrice" just doesn't sound right anymore.

"Think about it," he says, a faint smile curling his lips. " You don't get to pick again."

A new place, a new name. I can be remade here.

"Tris," I say firmly.”

Veronica Roth
“I have your back. I didn't mean only when it's easy. All the time.”

Veronica Roth
“Learning how to think in the midst of fear is a lesson that everyone needs to learn.”

Veronica Roth
“He turns toward me. I want to touch him, but I’m afraid of his bareness; afraid that he will make me bare too.
‘Is this scaring you, Tris?’
‘No,’ I croak. I clear my throat. ‘Not really. I’m only…afraid of what I want.’
‘What do you want?’ Then his face tightens. ‘Me?’
Slowly I nod.”

Veronica Roth
“Then everyone can call you Six.”
“Four and Six,” I say.”

Veronica Roth
“I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent. And I can’t be controlled.”

Veronica Roth
“feel Tobias brushing my hair back before the first simulation. I hear him telling me to be brave. I hear my mother telling me to be brave(...) I am brave.”

Veronica Roth
“Leaving us with Eric is like hiring a babysitter who spends his time sharpening knives.”

Veronica Roth
“But I will find new habits, new thoughts, new rules. I will become something else.”

Veronica Roth
“You nearly died today,' he says. 'I almost shot you. Why didn't you shoot me, Tris?'
'I couldn't do that,' I say. 'It would have been like shooting myself.'
He looks pained and leans closer to me, so his lips brush mine when he speaks.”

Veronica Roth
“Yes," I say. "Three of these flying birds."

I touch my collarbone, marking the path of their flight - toward my heart. One for each member of the family I left behind.”

Veronica Roth
“I have never been carried around by a large boy, or laughed until my stomach hurt at the dinner table, or listened to the clamor of a hundred people all talking at once. Peace is restrained; this is free.”

Veronica Roth
“Everything - our houses, our clothes, our hairstyles - is meant to help us forget ourselves and to protect us from vanity, greed and envy, which are just forms of selfishness. If we have little, and want for little, and we are all equal, we envy no one.”

Veronica Roth
“Every faction conditions its members to think and act a certain way. And most people do it. For most people, it's not hard to learn, to find a pattern of thought that works and stay that way. But our minds move in a dozen different directions. We can't be confined to one way of thinking, and that terrifies our leaders. It means we can't be controlled. And it means that no matter what they do, we will always cause trouble for them.”

Veronica Roth
“There are men with guns up there. When they see me, they will kill me, if they can," I
tell my father quietly. I search his eyes. "Should I let them?"
He stares at me for a few seconds.
"Go," he says, "and God help you.”

Veronica Roth
“That is death - shifting from "is" to "was.”

06/19/2012 page 1
06/22/2012 page 300
62.0% "Loving. This. So. Much."
06/22/2012 page 300
62.0% "Loving. This. So. Much."