Rob's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

Apr 10, 2012

Read in March, 2012

A new book by Jasper Fforde is one of those things I forcibly prevent myself from enjoying too fast. I put off buying it and try and make myself read it as slowly as possible, just to extend the pleasure. This, the sixth in his Thursday Next series, comes weighted with potential for disappointment: Thursday’s story appeared to come to a satisfying conclusion a couple of novels ago, so there’s always that sense the series is living on borrowed time; Fforde’s latest series started with the superb Shades of Grey which is crying out for a sequel; and, perhaps most worryingly of all, this Thursday Next book isn’t actually about our Thursday at all – our hero here is the written Thursday (but not the original written Thursday who turned out to be a little too evil).

If that last sentence made little or no sense, then this book isn’t for you. It’s the first in the series not to bother providing an entry point for Next newbies, and in fact makes various references to previous books that only a long-term reader would get. For the hardened Nextite, however, One of Our Thursdays… doesn’t disappoint. It has the same sense of intelligent daftness, the same potty plotting and the same pace that seem to be Fforde’s trademark. The ‘new’ protagonist is not a problem. In fact, her naivety is a refreshing return to earlier books in the series when Next was unfamiliar with the ‘rules’ and more of a bumbler.

Fforde took a bit of a risk in so blatantly changing the structure of the Bookworld – he blames it on e-books in the novel, but I suspect he just thought it offered more possibility for a bit of fun. Again, it’s a risk that was worth taking. It’s not quite as good as the first few Next books, the Nursery Crime books or Shades of Grey, but it’s not far off. I feel I ought to be more critical, but to be honest I’m slightly in love with Jasper Fforde, and am blind to his flaws. So, in a nutshell, don’t trust this review: just read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.