MaryKay's Reviews > Heroes for My Daughter

Heroes for My Daughter by Brad Meltzer

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, 2012

I received an ARC of this book. I enjoyed reading it and discussing it with my spouse. Meltzer’s book includes people I already admire (e.i. Eleanor Roosevelt and Sojourner Truth) and others I’m glad to be introduced to (Wangari Maathai and Alex Scott). Meltzer also described aspects of some of his featured heroes' lives that I was unaware of (the three stooges and Ella Fitzgerald).

I like the personal touch in his choices of heroes for his daughter. I’ve been reflecting on who I might choose to include if I were to create a similar book. I don’t pretend to have the writing skills to produce a similar book, but I might be able to self-publish a simple calendar for myself. I’m considering the title “Women who Changed the World” for my calendar.

While pondering the calendar project, I have even greater appreciation for the thoughtfulness that Meltzer demonstrates in this book. His thoughts about his heroes are nicely focused and concise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes for My Daughter.