B Throwsnaill's Reviews > Ashar'an Rising

Ashar'an Rising by Robert  Day

May 28, 12

Read from April 10 to May 27, 2012

Ashar'an Rising is the sequel to Demon Gates (the excellent kickoff to the Nexus Wars series by Robert Day). Does the sequel measure up to its predecessor? In a word: yes.
Day deftly manages multiple point of view characters and no fewer than three separate story arcs in this installment of the series. I often dislike stories with multiple, parallel threads like this; but, to Mr. Day's credit, each separate story arc kept me interested and entertained.
This novel also adds considerable depth to the backstory, and fleshes out the core conflict between two factions of an ancient race. I was a little concerned when the novel launched into a lengthy flashback to an ancient age, but the terminology was presented logically, and the ancient tale was gripping and suitably epic.
Day continues to be a master of swordplay and combat, and his fight scenes are well realized. And there are scenes with epic sorcery, which is always a good thing in a fantasy.
This novel is not quite as polished as the first novel was (although it did not detract from my enjoyment of the story). (view spoiler)
But to dwell on the above "nits" is to overlook the excellence of this novel. I am fully engaged in the story now and I can honestly say that I am a fan of Mr. Day's work. He continues to present a refreshing take on the genre, and takes the tried and true elements of fantasy and somehow makes them feel fresh and exciting.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashar'an Rising.

04/15/2012
04/20/2012
40.0% "Story becoming more sophisticated. I am fully engaged and enjoying it."
04/29/2012
52.0% "It's amazing how the author takes the elements of traditional fantasy and molds them into something that feels fresh and exciting."
show 2 hidden updates…