Jennifer's Reviews > The Devil's Larder

The Devil's Larder by Jim Crace

Aug 30, 2008

Recommended to Jennifer by: Michaela Hutfles
Read in August, 2008

There are a handful of writers who make me wish, and crave, to be able to write as well, as evocatively, as sparely as they do -- Jim Crace is now on that short list.

Sixty-four tales, thinly threaded together by strongest silk, each story as edible, as indigestible, as ironic as the 1001 ingredients tipped and stirred into them for flavor and effect. Each story told coolly, with restraint, so that elements of passion or the macabre worm their way, but only slowly, into your conscious, leaving behind a richer loam for having passed.

I'd love to know how, or why, Crace came up with making it up to, but stopping at, sixty-four stories. I'd love to know because my first NaNoWriMo experiment was an attempt to write sixty-three tales whose only similarity was an underlying theme of the dark, and both these ideas came from my favorite hot beverage at the time: Dark 63 from Dilettante's (a dark 63% hot chocolate drink). Silly, whimsical, as good a stitching as any other I could come up with vite vite so I wouldn't spin and spin and not write anything at all during those thirty days. I wonder where his sixty-four comes from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Larder.