Ms. Yingling's Reviews > Three Times Lucky

Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

Apr 10, 12

Read in April, 2012

Moses LeBeau was saved by her "upriver mother" from a storm when she was put into a basket, lucky that the Colonel found her, and lucky that Miss Lana took her in and is raising her-- even if this means that she is often left alone by the two of them for days and expected to run the town diner, where the citizens are okay with getting peanut butter concoctions and Mountain Dew as meals because they know that Mo is often left to run things. But this idyllic world could be shattered by an interloping police detective and a murder charge. Can Mo and her friend Dale Earnhardt Johnson III find the truth and save the day?

What I liked: All the cool kids read it, including Barbara Watson. Everyone seems to think this is fantastic.
Why This Didn't Work: Quirky Southern to the extreme. Blurbed by two authors whose books I could not stomach. I could not suspend disbelief long enough to think that the townspeople were okay with Mo being alone as long as she didn't use any hot applicances in the diner. None of my students ask for this sort of thing, although I had a brief hope that the murder mystery might be intriguing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Times Lucky.