Kathy (Bermudaonion)'s Reviews > The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story

The Shiniest Jewel by Marian Henley

Aug 23, 08

I received a copy of The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story from Springboard Press today. It was written and illustrated by Marian Henley, who is best known for her Maxine! comics. This book is a graphic memoir and I have to admit that it was not what I was expecting. It intrigued me, though, so I started on it right away.

At 49, Marian had been in a relationship with a younger man for 7 years. He talked about making things permanent, but she had cold feet. At the same time, she decided to adopt a child from Russia. This turned out to be more complicated and expensive then she was told it would be. As if that wasn't enough, her father became seriously ill. Witnessing her parents in the hospital, Marian realized why people commit to marriage. At 50 years old, Marian found herself coping with a new marriage, a new baby and the death of her father.

This book is a wonderful story of love. At 169 pages, it's a quick, feel-good read. It brought tears to my eyes a few times. Marian's descriptions and illustrations are delightful - through them, you experience the roller-coaster of emotions she went through. I loved this book and think it would make a great gift to anyone who has gone through or is contemplating a foreign adoption.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shiniest Jewel.