Doniki's Reviews > Above

Above by Leah Bobet

Apr 09, 2012

Read from April 09 to 14, 2012

First off, this is not an easy book. If you are looking for a breezy read then put this book down. Pick it up again when you are in an odd, yet intent mood.

The narrator uses lyrically coded English. It is easy to figure out but you are constantly translating as you read.

Example paragraph:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She looks back over her shoulder, hair whipping to and fro, and for a second the red clears and it’s oh god bee’s-wings, candle flame, everything good and clean and sweet in the world touching gentle on my eyes and nose and lips. Then she looks back at me with red-lined eyes and a tight-lined face and it’s gone, that thing that lights without burning, that thing that makes me want to touch her cheek soft nighttimes. She lowers her chin even more than it’s tilted down. Hiding."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's one of the easier paragraphs.

The story unfolds like a darkly disjointed puzzle box. Not a straightforward read but heartbreaking and well worth the time invested.

This is a book of Freaks, of trying to find or create your place in the world. It is a Tale of human frailties, about making Safe, and dark true things.

For a synopsis, go here: http://www.leahbobet.com/fiction.html

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Harkins "Lyrically coded English".

I do not know what that means. And I SO want to.

Please explain.