Eunice's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

I didn't expect this book to be really touching. Well, I did expect it to be a bit heavy on the romantic side but I was surprised that this book also contained a very poignant and in depth lessons toward family matters. Which made this book more brilliant. I love that this book covered more than just the love story of Lake and Will but also the love story of their family. It was heartwarming, moving and beautiful.

I wasn't instantly hooked when I started this. To be honest I wasn't actually that excited but I was interested enough not to feel like I was dragging myself to read it. In fact, I was even able to have it on hold for just a little while but I'm glad I din't put it off for too long because now that I've read it I realized it was actually not a good idea. As the story went by I find myself gradually consumed by it.

Lake and Will were both appealing and engaging characters. I wasn't so sure though if I liked it that the attraction between them went pretty fast. But when Will brought Lake to their first date, a slam poetry, which was really different and unique I guess I was just sold. lol! However, when finally things started getting better came this big obstacle that made their relationship almost impossible.

I ached for the both of them that they have to go through something heart breaking when all they wanted was just to be together. Aside from that other family issues came that made everything more conflicting and heart aching. And you'll find no one to blame which made it even harder. But through that they were able to assessed their selves and situations, realized things and learned lessons that made they overcome those obstacle.

It was heart warming and moving. I love how Lake and Will faced and overcome those problems and find strength with each other. I love Lake's mom too and those great advice she gave to Lake. Caulder and Kel were also very adorable characters which also were able to tug string from my heart. Eddie was a very wonderful friend, I was so touched by her story. And the very thing that made me loved this book so much was the slam poetry. I was mesmerized, compelled and touched beyond words. I never thought I would ever loved poetry but the poems featured here went straight to my heart. Especially those poems Will made for Lake. It was very heartwarming and uplifting and I definitely felt all the emotions in there.

I recommend this. This was an outstanding and brilliant novel that would tug strings from your heart. I enjoyed every bit of it. :))

This review is also posted at Book Overdose

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

05/08/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mimi Valentine Wow, this book sounds so heart-wrenching! *quickly adds to TBR pile* I can't wait to read what you think of it, Eunice! :)

Eunice Thank you, Mimi! I haven't encountered anything too heartbreaking yet but the conflict between Will and Lake made me ache for them. I have about 35% left but got sidetracked by another book. Haha! I think I'll finish this one on friday. :))

♥Rachel♥ I just finished and loved it too, Eunice. I'll look out for your review. :)

Aa'Ishah This looks so good! Why didn't I add it before?? Look foward to reading your review! :)

Eunice Thanks Rachel! Glad to know you liked it too!

Hi Aa'ishah! Oh, it's definitely good! Can't wait for you to read it. :))

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Hi Eunice! I have heard wonderful things about this one. Can’t wait for your review! :)

message 7: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit Ack I've got this one too! Can't wait to read it! Look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Eunice Thanks Laura and Jasprit. I really enjoyed it! Hope you like it too. I'll have my review sometime this week I guess. :))

♥Rachel♥ I just loved everything about this book, Eunice. The poetry was so amazing and heartfelt and Will and Lake's romance was completely consuming! Glad you enjoyed it too. Great review. :)

Eunice ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "I just loved everything about this book, Eunice. The poetry was so amazing and heartfelt and Will and Lake's romance was completely consuming! Glad you enjoyed it too. Great review. :)"

Thank you, Rachel! I was really surprised by how much the poems touched me, especially those that were dedicated to Lake! I really loved it! :)

Eunice Sam wrote: "Amazing review, Eunice! Between you and Rachel, I feel like I have to read this book ASAP. :) I love how heart-warming this sounds."

Oh yes, Sam! I can't wait for you to read this. It was really good, and oh, you're gonna love the slam poetry! Thank you! ^^

message 12: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine I love that this book has more depth than your average contemporary love story -- the characters too! :) And as a girl who looooooves poetry, I can't wait to read the poems too! Absolutely brilliant review, Eunice! <3

Eunice Thank you, Mimi! I was never into poetry, really, but after seeing those poems here, it was just wow. I was so mesmerized! I can't wait for you to see those too! :))

message 14: by Jasprit (last edited Jun 01, 2012 12:36AM) (new) - added it

Jasprit Such a fantastic review Eunice! I need to start my copy asap! :)

Eunice Thanks Jasprit. Can't wait for you to read it. Hope you like it too. :))

message 16: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I have to get to this one soon! Lovely review, Eunice! :)

Eunice Thank you, Laura! I think you're really gonna love this one. Rachel and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for you to meet Will and Lake! :))