Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Knight

Knight by Kristen Ashley
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4013351
's review
Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: adult, bdsm-or-person-in-control, contemporary-romance, romantica-or-erotica
Read from April 09 to 12, 2012

Adult review for Erotic content. I can't say I loved everything about the book but I have to give credit for Knight's ability to talk the clothes off a mannequin. I want to be able to give an extra half star just for his bedroom talk.



Has anyone else ever had an immediate and sudden urge to say a word out loud that you would never say under any other circumstance? And no, I'm not talking swear words.

I seriously think the word "dude" came out of my mouth at least 15 times while reading this book and I'm also pretty sure that I don't use that word on a regular basis. I'm also pretty sure that I'm not a fan of this word.

This was me :

(me saying ) DUDE... (me thinking) wait, what?
(me saying) DUDE... (me thinking) oh no, that did NOT just happen.
(me saying) DUDE... (me thinking) okay, that might actually be hot.

So the story begins...

Independent, finance-strapped woman named Anya finds herself stuck at a high-dollar penthouse party when her phone is unable to get a signal. She heads to the nearest bedroom to find a land line, so she can call a cab.

If you would prefer Anya to call a cab and go home by herself, click here : (view spoiler)
If you would prefer Anya to meet a tall, handsome, pissed off man who offers her a ride home, click here : (view spoiler)

This new stranger, only known as "Knight," shows an interest in Anya. We enter a place in the book I'd like to call : I can't believe it's not butter Fifty.

If you enjoyed the book Fifty Shades of Grey click here : (view spoiler)
If you hated the book Fifty Shades of Grey because of Ana, click here : (view spoiler)
If you hated the book Fifty Shades of Grey because of Christian's possessiveness, click here :(view spoiler)
If you hated the book Fifty Shades of Grey because Christian had psychological issues, click here :(view spoiler)

Knight and Anya hit it off. Each of them fear the other is keeping secrets, so they both try to investigate in order to find out what's going on behind the scenes. However, after Anya starts to ask questions she's told by Knight to stop, so she does. Yet...Knight doesn't seem to stop digging. I wasn't crazy about this part of the story. Even though there was no contract, she accepted demands with hardly any question. Knight took some of his actions (snooping, hovering, demanding she be at places at set times) to a place that could possibly freak most women out.

Even though I'm making a note that the above behavior doesn't do it for me...I'm going to disclaimer that we are working with a romance that imo straddles the realm of mainstream contemporary and BDSM erotica. Different genre = different rules. Know this before picking up any BDSM book. People read erotica and BDSM to have their kinky itches scratched. Some people love the dom/sub system outside of the bedroom and might find Knight to be their perfect book hero. I prefer my dom/sub to be sexual ONLY, with the relationship outside of the bedroom conducted as equal partners in every aspect. You've been nicely warned, so please don't read this book then come crying that this "shit ain't right."

Our couple develops a very close and loving relationship - suprised? I was. As mentioned earlier, Knight may be dominant but he adores his Anya. The high point of this book was the way he worshipped his woman. I won't steal all the wonderful quotes that Baba used, but check out her review if you want to see just how much Knight would rock my world in the love and devotion department. I am also awarding Knight the highly coveted - Best Dirty Talker award. I thought Flynn from Willing Victim had it going on but that man has just been dethroned. If nothing else, I would read the book if you love a man who can talk about what he loves while he's giving it to you. This man is on fire!!! He had me at, "want to own your body and beauty," and whatever else he was saying in the bedroom as I was in my giddy female reading state. Yes, please.

On to the "terms of endearment."

Do you like the use of such terms as baby, daddy, etc.? (view spoiler)
Do you hate the aforementioned terms? (view spoiler)

Other random points :

Are you okay with a bad boy who might in fact do bad things when it comes to business or skirting the law? If yes : (view spoiler)
If the answer is no : (view spoiler)

The ending...

Do you want a happy ever after? (HEA) If yes : (view spoiler)
Don't care? (view spoiler).


Final analysis :

This was my first KA book. Apparently, I picked one of the wilder ones to start with, as this is less mainstream than some of her other works. Since I've read many different forms of erotica before, I wasn't intimidated. I do like this author's writing style. There were a few editing errors but nothing so major that it put me out of the story. I will be trying out one of her more "mainstream" books to see how I like her other work.

My opinion :

Pros - Great bedroom domination, man who is a loving caregiver, sexual variety and epic dirty talk.
Cons - A man who wanted to control too much of the woman's personal life outside of the bedroom, which is so not my thing. Also, I was a bit confused by this woman who had a spine in some areas yet accepted things without question in others, which was sort of a contradiction. I think it was explained that she found out being a sub sort of turned her crank, and if so, this probably shouldn't bother me...
86 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knight.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 107) (107 new)


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Stacia! You've never read KA?? How have I missed recommending her to you??
I loved Knight though I don't know which way you'll go - we normally agree about 60/40% would you say hahaha
After Knight you need to read a book called Bared To You! Trust me on this one :-)


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Well, I really don't know if this is a good call, Stacia. I loved this book but it is not the usual KA story! Plenty of sex and highly erotic. Her other stories are full of alpha heroes as well but a bit "tamer". :-)


Stacia (the 2010 club) J, you probably did. I've had a several friends who read and love the author and I knew you had read her. I actually have most of her books and was going to start the Colorado Mountain series first but I think the first book is longer than this one and I have other challenge books to have to get to soon.

B, Whether it's tame or not doesn't bother me since I read a pretty broad range of books, including erotica. So far I'm liking the book but had a bit of a "wha?" moment when (view spoiler)


Stacia (the 2010 club) And Baba, I just went and read the spoilers on your review. Now I know why you were worried. I read taboo erotica and if I can handle Comfort Food, this should be easier. (view spoiler)


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Stacia *the pusher wrote: "And Baba, I just went and read the spoilers on your review. Now I know why you were worried. I read taboo erotica and if I can handle Comfort Food, this should be easier. [spoilers removed]"

Holy cow, you don't have to worry anymore, Stacia. I won't read Comfort Food because I know this will be way out of my comfort zone. Well, how can I properly say it? Yes, he is a (view spoiler) Somehow I was afraid the sex could be a bit too much. I mean it is too much for some readers. Knight has nothing to do with taboo erotica!!


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter BTW, would love to hear what you think about the "daddy" thing. I didn't like it.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Are we going into the realm of (view spoiler)


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Stacia *the pusher wrote: "Are we going into the realm of [spoilers removed]"

What do you mean? (view spoiler)


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I have to head off to bed, Stacia. "See" you tomorrow...Nighty night!


Stacia (the 2010 club) I meant more the (view spoiler) I'll probably have to wait until I get to that point in the book you're referring to, so I know what you're referencing.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Have a good night!


message 12: by Leea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leea I haven't even heard of this book. I've only read Kristen Ashley's Colorado Mountain series. I'm going to have to check this one out and I can't wait to hear what you think of this book :)


Stacia (the 2010 club) I think it's a new release which might be why.


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Stacia *the pusher wrote: "And Baba, I just went and read the spoilers on your review. Now I know why you were worried. I read taboo erotica and if I can handle Comfort Food, this should be easier. [spoilers removed]"

The erotic content won't bother you at all Stacia. Yup, compared to some you've read, this will be a breeze haha

Some have said that is hardcore BDSM....you'll definitely see that's not the case. Also, he's an "anti-hero". I think this has been misunderstood also.

Can't wait to see what you think. I loved it and hope it's another one we can agree on.


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Stacia *the pusher wrote: "Are we going into the realm of [spoilers removed]"

Sorry, Stacia, i didn't think it was related to my Daddy thing. It was late and I was tired. Yes, I think you are right with your spoiler. But I haven't read such a book until now, so I'm not quite sure.

I'm off to work. Have a good one!


Stacia (the 2010 club) I just got to the baby wants her daddy comment and laughed so hard that I was surprised I didn't wake my husband!


message 17: by Leea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leea oh, boy! lol! I can't wait for your review :)


Stacia (the 2010 club) Leea, I will try to get to it later tonight, hopefully. I took so many notes it was crazy.

Jenny and Baba, Okay, so it wasn't age play. I actually read two age play erotica in the past week, and this didn't come close. It was more like "sugar daddy" play if there is such a thing. If not, then I just invented a new kink.

BABA, I hope you poke your head back in because I need to pick your brain. I know that you hated Fifty Shades and gave it 1 star but you gave this book 5 stars. Why was I feeling like I was reading the same book twice in many parts? The faded jeans at home and the suits at work, the forced purchase of the car, the struggle for power when it came to how much of the girl's own money she spent and how she dressed, heck even the point of putting protection on her and giving her a driver-slash-bodyguard when needed. There was even a mini "inner goddess" moment when she did a squee dance in her head. It was even tame BDSM to a point and Anya didn't really get much of a choice whether or not to comply. She was told that she would be punished if she acted up. Please talk me through this one. I couldn't stop comparing the two. I'm not saying this is good or bad...I'm just saying that it was hard not to see similarities.


message 19: by Leea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leea Interesting, sounds a lot like the Fifty book...

You 'Dude' comment and his dirty talk sealed the deal... I want to read this book.


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Stacia *the pusher wrote: "Leea, I will try to get to it later tonight, hopefully. I took so many notes it was crazy.

Jenny and Baba, Okay, so it wasn't age play. I actually read two age play erotica in the past week, and ..."


I stopped reading Fifty after I was 55 % done. I don't think that these two books have a lot of similarities. Christian is a sick whacko and the heroine (I don't remember her name anymore) is an immature, underdeveloped girl.

Ok, the control issues. Both of the heroes have control issues. Books are always a very personal matter--how you feel about a story/characters. I hated Fifty AND I did not like the characters. I did not like the writing either. The tampon thing...seriously???? Fortunately I did not come to this special point of the story! There was just too much that annoyed me. And yes, the inner goddess s*it, and the whole paper stuff s*it...it goes on and on and Knight IS different. Admittedly, I FEEL differently too.


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I just read/liked your review of Fifty. I have a question. Which BDSM author is your favorite--certainly not E.L. James. I can't remember anymore but the BDSM elements were nothing special. Well, as I said before I stopped reading when I was 55 % done. Maybe the BDSM stuff started later? I do remember that the first sex scene when the h was losing her virginity was totally ridiculous--very clinical.

Anyways, books are always a matter of the heart, Stacia. I put Fifty in the darkest dungeon and I don't mind at all it it's gonna rot there.


message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Apr 12, 2012 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) There was another comparison I forgot, the crack whore mom vs. the prostitute mom and the sons having to witness the behavior and learn how to protect.

I do agree though that if a character doesn't work for you, it throws off the vibe of the book and I completely see where you're coming from. It is not uncommon for me to be disgusted by something in one book, yet love the same exact thing in another. I am back and forth about alpha males in general. I love me some alpha males in pnr and historical romance, but find myself struggling to warm up to them in contemporaries. Maybe it's because in a pnr or historical you are able to keep the facade that it's a fantasy, while in realistic books you start comparing the story to your own life, or at least I do. That's also why I have less of a problem with extreme behavior in taboo books because I already know I won't be living that story in any form. When it comes down to the heart of the matter, it really does fall on the author to sell their characters and story and make me a believer, even if it's not something I'd normally like.

In some ways, I had a hard time with Knight because I felt like he took the control to extremes outside of the bedroom. I adore controlling men in the bedroom, and have a fondness for men who are a little jealous/possessive, but don't like it when the control seeps out into every day life outside of the relationship. But (and this is a huge but)...some of that was cancelled out by the fact that this man can DIRTY TALK like no one's business. Hot damn, his dirty talk was epic. I love, love, love that stuff. He might have knocked Flynn from Willing Victim off the pedestal I had him on because Knight's dirty talk was even better.


message 23: by Leea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leea He might have knocked Flynn from Willing Victim off the pedestal I had him on because Knight's dirty talk was even better.

DUDE!!!!!!


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Maybe it's because in a pnr or historical you are able to keep the facade that it's a fantasy, while in realistic books you start comparing the story to your own life, or at least I do. That's also why I have less of a problem with extreme behavior in taboo books because I already know I won't be living that story in any form.

That's interesting, Stacia! Whichever way you look at it, it's always a personal preference. In RL a Knight would never work for me. You know I had a discussion with my boyfriend recently. He told me that if I had made the first step (if I had hit on him) we would not be a couple now. Seriously??? I had to laugh and I thought he was joking. He told me that HE wants to make the first step. He is turned off by women who are hitting on men. Wow. Well, I mean all's well that ends well. It's interesting to see though that he's got the lead in the bedroom too. Yeah, I can say what I want/like but in fact, I do not mind at all that he is the one who pushes the buttons. It's not at all a problem that he is leading me as long as he takes care of me and my needs.


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter some of that was cancelled out by the fact that this man can DIRTY TALK like no one's business. Hot damn, his dirty talk was epic. I love, love, love that stuff. He might have knocked Flynn from Willing Victim off the pedestal I had him on because Knight's dirty talk was even better.

I loved Flynn! A great dirty talker. And I agree that Knight is one too! :))


Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha. Now DUDE is going to end up being some horribly cheesy code for something extreme in a book. You all are going to hate me.

Baba, I just went and checked on my erotica account. I tend to prefer books with extreme man-handling and pseudo control play...more of the mind game type vs. using a bunch of props. Meaning where the guy has the, "you're going to take it and you're going to like it" attitude. Similar to how Willing Victim was. I don't mind play with props like straps and nipple clamps and I do like spanking books, but I always prefer the BDSM to be more about the actual control than the amount of pain inflicted. I don't mind name calling as long as it's not degrading. A little bit of, "you know you like being my dirty little slut" is fine and can be sexy. Anything more than that gives me the creeps.

Other than WV, I don't have any (non-taboo) BDSM books rated higher than 3.5 so you might need to recommend me some. Some recent few I liked were Kidnapped for Christmas, A Shot in the Dark and Dark Xanadu (Dark Xanadu, #1) yet they were simply enjoyable but forgettable. I need to write better reviews on my erotica because I'm having trouble remembering why I liked some of the other ones.

On the taboo end, my tastes run a lot darker.


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Thanks for reminding me. I always wanted to add a dirty-talker shelf. Now it's done. I put Willing Victim and Knight on this shelf.

I love Joey W. Hill but I doubt she'd for you. She's rather philosophical/spiritual when it comes to BDSM.

Sorry, but the dark/taboo stuff is not for me.

Ok, I'm off to bed--it's almost midnight here. Have a good one! Nighty night.


Stacia (the 2010 club) I wish I had kept better track of the best dirty talkers. There were a couple other books that had em but I couldn't remember if I tried. You have Simple Need on your list. Iirc, Vinter was one.

Taboo is definitely not for everyone. I don't read much of it these days because it's hard to find anything that is more about the psychological aspect than the shock value. There are a few I read which were done well and made me think, but there are too many which are just complete crap. It's too much of a gamble these days to waste my time weeding out the bad ones in order to find something worth discussing.

I might try out Joey W. Hill anyway. You never know. She might work for me. I really am all over the place when it comes to what I like.


Stacia (the 2010 club) And goodnight. :)


Stacia (the 2010 club) I just realized that I wrote "stoner kitty" notes.




Stacia (the 2010 club) Not sure why the whole pic doesn't show. The kitty is saying, "wait, what?"


message 33: by Leea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leea Hahaha! Love Stoney Kitty! What's that movie, where they kept saying, "No DUDE, no Dude, not really DuDE" Like they were having this conversations without saying anything but 'Dude' lmao! That's how I feel right now. I'm off to start Knight :)


Stacia (the 2010 club) Dude, where's my car. That movie was sooo bad.

I think when I'm able to get back to my computer I'm going to write a choose your own adventure style review....maybe with a few less dudes.


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog "He might have knocked Flynn from Willing Victim off the pedestal I had him on because Knight's dirty talk was even better"

I think he did for me too....

Am interested to see how you review this!


message 36: by Leea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leea Bloody Brilliant!!!


Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! I'm still editing. It's after midnight here so I have the feeling I'll come back tomorrow and erase parts of it.

The review seems way too long I think...


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog ha! love that quote...."his ability to talk the clothes off a manequin"!


message 39: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Apr 12, 2012 11:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I do like this author's writing style and I don't mind alpha males (in fact I love a well-written alpha) but I think Knight lost some of it with me over him demanding when and where Anya was allowed to be. But I know that's a preference thing and some women like that. Otherwise, he was pretty damn sexy. The way he talked about (view spoiler)

I have an early appointment tomorrow, but I'm going to try to start another KA book. I know you all like The Burg, right? But I have the first Colorado Mountain book loaded onto my reader already so I'll probably go with that one. Please tell me it's a little like SoA?!?


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Great review Stacia! You never disappoint! Loved it and it's not too long - it was very entertaining :-)


message 41: by Jenny - TotallybookedBlog (last edited Apr 12, 2012 11:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Can totally see where you're coming from and it is totally a prference thing. He was damn sexy and oh yeah, that bit was beyond hot!!

I would go with Colorada Mountain Series first.

Hmmmmm......wish I could say it is SOA...not quite but it does have a freaking hot character in it!

Roll on September....I'm having major SOA withdrawals!!!!


Stacia (the 2010 club) You and me both. I miss my Jax and Opie.


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Stacia *the pusher wrote: "You and me both. I miss my Jax and Opie."

damn straight!!!!


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter LOL Loved your review, Stacia! Well, read my lips (words)--you should definitely read Sweet Dreams. Tate is THE MAN! Love, love this book!


Stacia (the 2010 club) So I've heard!


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Yep, you'll love Tate in Sweet Dreams and Joe in at Peace! Mind you I also loved Ty in Lady Luck...there is this one scene....oh never mind, just read it haha.


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jenny wrote: "Yep, you'll love Tate in Sweet Dreams and Joe in at Peace! Mind you I also loved Ty in Lady Luck...there is this one scene....oh never mind, just read it haha."

Oh, yes, Ty....swoooonalicious!!!


Jenny - TotallybookedBlog I have one word....shower!


Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jenny wrote: "I have one word....shower!"

LOLOLOL


message 50: by Dija (new)

Dija I love this review, Stacia! I've read some of KA's other works, but I'm not ready to give this a try yet. The daddy thing puts me off, and I'm not really one for erotica anyway.


« previous 1 3
back to top