Melanie's Reviews > The Organic Adventures of Tucker the Tomato

The Organic Adventures of Tucker the Tomato by Rey Ortega

Dec 08, 08

Recommended for: vegetarians, vegans
Read in April, 2004

** spoiler alert ** This brightly illustrated children's book does a great job of teaching kids about organic produce. Tucker the tomato is a red, plump, little guy who falls off the truck. The engaging story recounts his adventures as he tries to make his way back to his friends who've been delivered to the natural foods store. On the way he meets up with a variety of colorful characters including some conventionally grown tomatoes whose pesticides have made them sick, discolored, and grumpy. At the end of the book are a simple maze and a drawing page. Tucker has his very own web site at www.tuckertomato.com where you can see some of the gorgeous illustrations. Our children, ages two and six love this book, and I appreciate the message they learn about the benefits of avoiding pesticides. Buying organic makes a real difference, and that message comes through loud and clear in this book.

Most important, my kids love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Organic Adventures of Tucker the Tomato.