Irvin Sha's Reviews > King Leopold's Ghost

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild

Apr 09, 2012

Read in April, 2012

This book was recommended to me by a friend. Prior to cracking the spine, my knowledge of Africa was pretty much nil, aside from the knowing that there was a lot of colonialism, slavery, and general badness abounding. This book is an eye-opening account of the depths of human cruelty, easily on par with accounts that I've read of the Holocaust or the Great Terror. The degree to which naked greed and Euro-centricity dictated the course of events in the region are appalling. What is even more disturbing is the duration of the effects. To this day, the Congo is still totally f'd up. Millions of lives lost or made completely miserable, all because of the selfishness and avarice of one man.

The book is not impartial, and the author is keenly aware of his place in the historical dialogue on this issue. It is not a neutral, unbiased account. This could potentially raise some doubts from some more skeptical readers revealing transparent about one's position does not mean that the position is wrong. Either way, I strongly recommend this book to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Leopold's Ghost.