Rayroy's Reviews > The Fallback Plan

The Fallback Plan by Leigh Stein

Aug 16, 12

Read from April 09 to 10, 2012

Wow, this is what indie debut novels should inspire to be. In “The Fallback Plan” Esther fresh out college finds herself moving back home to live with parents. She’s kind of a wallflower, imaginative, rather apathetic towards her goals and plans, oh and very likeable. Esther’s voice is so genuine, so raw and real, original and confused that I wonder how much of Leigh Stein’s self is written in to the character of Esther, how much of her experience, her fears, her imaginative nature is Leigh Stein’s ?, certainly her love of Pandas and theater. Maybe Leigh Stein created her from thin air. Either way this book I found myself falling in love with for a number of reasons.

Writing likeable fully realized characters, characters that are deeply flawed, who's actions are less the desirable, while fully engaging the reader is hard and attemped often. Leigh Stein swings for the fences and the ball lands in the parking lot, and too think this is her first novel, but damn if I wasn’t totally impressed in how Esther talked, what she was going through, I laughed along with her morbid sense of humor, felt her embarrassments as if they were my own. Think of an older less snobby Holden Caulfield for Generation Y, with Its K’s , LOL’s and OMG’s, that has never used a payphone to pick a place for a date. Yes you would be hard press to find a more likable character written in the last few years, one I’m kind of in love with, one I want only to say everything will be ok.

Beyond that this book is short and blissful, while never comprasing depth, a page turner the why suspense novels are written. It’s full of musings of theater, books and movies and Grand Theft Auto, Vice City (a game I played by the way). Esther as a crash on a boy from high school, but he has a girlfriend already, who watches him play videos games like there’s nothing wrong with it, which kind makes sense in a time when fewer men open doors for or wait for women to exit elevators. I’m kind of off point but I feel that Leigh Stein was making some points about a lack of culture and manners with today’s recent college grads or something.

“The Fallback Plan” is bitter sweet, depressing at times but not “The Bell Jar” depressing, cute in a good why even a dude like me would like, revealing, strangely therapeutic at least to me, genuine and above all else a damn fine read!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallback Plan.

04/09/2012 page 105