Leah Iannone's Reviews > The Dry Grass of August

The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

Apr 11, 12

Read from April 09 to 11, 2012

Very good book. It's set in the 50s and follows a family during a few weeks in the summer. Jubie is the 13 year narrator (young narrators are my favorite). Jubie and her siblings travel with their mother to their uncle's house at the beach for vacation. They leave their sometimes abusive and always drinking father behind, and bring their black maid, Mary. Set in a time where segregation was in full effect, we get to see how the world treats Mary, and how Jubie treats Mary. Jubie and Mary have a special bond and Jubie is at a time in her life where she is beginning to question things around her. The sibling's relationship is nicely portrayed in the book, believable and sweet. Jubie is a narrator to be trusted and as a reader I wanted to keep seeing where she led me. This book was laced with examples of heartbreaking and maddening racism, that while hard to read, is even harder to think about in broader terms because we know this was a terrible reality for so many.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dry Grass of August.