Angeli M.'s Reviews > Divine Misfortune

U_50x66
Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 09 to 15, 2012

I was tempted to give this 4/5 stars, but opted for 3 instead because of the pace. The beginning and early-middle were fine pace-wise, but the ending felt rushed. I think the book could've easily been a few chapters longer and it would've only done good. I liked the introduction and development of the characters and their relationships, but the latter half of the book felt like a rushed explanation and resolution to the whole Lucky/Syph/Gorgoz problem.

Pacing issues aside, this was a very entertaining read. I really enjoyed his style of writing. It's humorous in a witty, almost sarcastic way, and reminds me of Neil Gaiman or Douglas Adams. Very much my taste. The premise of the story also piqued my interests so very quickly. Humans could browse through a website that is similar to today's dating sites and look at different gods' profiles before choosing to "follow" one and thus receive their benefits. Of course, not all is as it seems on the internet and our human protagonists soon figure that out.

In short: Divine Misfortune is a funny and quick read, and I'd recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour or sarcasm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Misfortune.

04/09/2012 page 114
37.0% "I was hooked on this book after reading the first few pages while in the store. It combines humor and gods and it's pretty good so far. I love how normal/business-like the idea of god-following is."