Kaylea's Reviews > The Wedding Dress

The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: see-blog-for-more-info
Read in April, 2012

A year ago, I crossed something off my bucket list.

I attended a writing workshop in Tulsa, Okla., led by Rachel Hauck.

It was a cool day, because I met a couple of neat writers, got some ideas (I'm really a non-fiction writer who dreams of writing a novel) and met Hauck.

Basically, I got to sit at her feet (OK, it was at a table in a church's meeting room), and listen to her talk writing and how she got lots of her ideas.

She also talked about writing a book a book about a wedding dress that fits four women - kind of a "traveling pants" meets romance and bridal wear.

Kind of a cool concept. (Although, I'm still waiting for the vampire Amish tale the workshop participants kept joking about.)

Well, fast forward - a year later, I had the opportunity to review The Wedding Dress - the book Hauck talked about in the workshop.

A book about four women - who all fit inside the dress WITHOUT alteration.

Spanning multiple generations, Hauck crafts a tale that unites a group of women - three still living - showing their common interests, ties and faith. She also weaves in a hint of mystery and intrigue (and a really interesting character wearing purple!).

It's a fun book. In the beginning the dialogue jumps back and forth between Charlotte and the original owner. We see similarities to their struggles for love and acceptance. As it continues, we meet the other two owners and see how they are all linked together by the dress and more.

Like other books I've read written by Hauck, the novel's characters are enjoyable and the plot captures your attention.

On the scale of one to five, I give this book a four.Fun and humorous, The Wedding Dress would make a great "tuck in your bag" on a vacation or "rainy day" read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Dress.