Carolynn's Reviews > The Slippery Slope

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket

Apr 09, 12

Oh, ASoUE. I read The Slippery Slope when I was eleven; it marks, for me, the beginning of the series’ end, because Daniel Handler clearly has no clue where to kill the franchise. The End, for instance, browbeats its reader with a tangled philosophical mess that may have something to do with atheist existentialism blah, the nature of art and sin blah, what-just-happened blah.

Nonetheless ASoUE is charmingly long-running and convoluted in the same way that X-Files and Lost are meant to be, rife with unanswered questions and thick with uncaught allusions, and so heavy with its plot that, five hours on Wikipedia later, your head is in a daze with smoke monsters, alien conspiracies, and question marks that loom out of the sea.

I will always have fond memories of The Slippery Slope for the first tantalising clues as to the nature of VFD and the (unjustified) relief at the appearance of the sugar bowl; the faint eroticism that tinges that unrecorded scene on the mountain; the shock at the sudden re-loss of Quigley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slippery Slope.

message 1: by Deaths coming (new)

Deaths coming torture mastrer-if you want someone torture he wil agreee but was instead 11 that it started 10 was still great