Marsha's Reviews > The Iron Wyrm Affair

The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow

1991207
Aug 03, 12

Read on August 03, 2012, read count: Once

Steampunk is one of my favorite genres. Authors such as Gail Carriger and Mejean Brooks create world under the guise of the Industrial Revolution with such creativity and artistry. Since I am a fan of Lilith SaintCrow’s “Strange Angels” series, I was extremely excited to read “The Iron Wyrm Affair.” I even went to the lengths to preorder the book. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed with the overly grandiose and verbose writing. In short, this was a tedious and less than stellar read for me. Not to mention, the characters did not ring true to the book summary.

Emma Bannion is a Prima Forensic Sorceress working for the Queen. She has been called to investigate the deaths of several mentaths. Additionally, she must protect Archibald Clare, an unregistered mentath. He has powers of deduction that can be compared to Sherlock Holmes. Usually a prima would have at least six Shields or guards. However, Emma recently lost her entire staff of shields when they were disemboweled. Now, she just has one, Mikal who killed his former Prime. Emma is not sure whether or not she can truly trust him and he is sure that her suspicion’s of him makes him an illogical choice for the job. Together the trio will have to overcome their distaste for one another long enough to uncover a conspiracy that will put all of their lives in danger.

I huffed and sighed my way throughout the story. It had the bones to be a really good read; but, alas it failed miserably in its' execution. Needless to say, I will not be continuing on with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Wyrm Affair.

08/03/2012 page 98