Laurian's Reviews > The Rook

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: mystery, fiction, fantacy
Read from April 09 to 14, 2012

I've been reading a lot of books lately since I've been on bed rest, and before that on semi-bed rest. It means I get to spend a good amount of time with the written word. This book is perhaps the best book I've read in the last 50 or so books. It was refreshing, clean, funny (at times), had wonderful character development, was impacting, and was very very entertaining.

It is set in present day London and tells the story of how one woman woke up in the body of another surrounded by dead people wearing gloves. When she looks in her pocket there are two notes. The first, tells her to run for it and how to get to a safe place. The second explains that the woman had received multiple prophesies stating that one day soon she would open her eyes and be someone else. That she works at a secret institution in England for people with special powers that strive daily to help keep the truly strange hidden. And, that she has two choices: she can disappear with a large amount of money or the new person can select to take over her life. The story that follows is what happens after the new woman makes her decision.

I loved it. I was a bit worried that since the author was male and the main character was female that the narration, being so strong, would come across wrong. But, O'Malley did it so well that I'll be first in line to get his next book (if and when it comes out).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rook.