Tom Olson's Reviews > Canvas Pocket Reference: Scripted Graphics for HTML5

Apr 09, 2012

bookshelves: computer-books
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Originally submitted at O'Reilly

When I got the Canvas Pocket Reference I was pretty excited. I've heard a lot about HTML5's canvas tag and was looking forward to getting my hands dirty messing with it. While going through this book, I found the author's insight to be valuable, but the samples and method descriptions a little hard to follow. I liked that the author didn't include boring examples, but I'm uneasy when a tutorial covers conceptually advanced topics (like recursion) early on that the some users may find hard to follow. I thought other examples (like Sparklines) were excellent.

This book is broken down into a tutorial chapter and reference chapter. The tutorial topics cover general topics, although it doesn't always cover implementation. The reference chapter however covers how to implement methods and properties of a canvas, but sometimes requires reading better represented in the tutorial. My general impression was that some of the tutorial comments (line-drawing attributes come to mind - I'm one that would confuse miter, bevel and round if I didn't use them frequently) would've been better off in the reference section.

Even though I had a little trouble navigating through the book and getting detailed information out of it quickly, it's a good size for a reference book. I still find that it had all the answers I needed, and addressed everything I would need to know. I did hope for some discussion of WebGL, but I know there's still a lot of active development going on.

Disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book through O'Reilly Media.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Canvas Pocket Reference.